Iraqi Bloggers Roundup

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Obscure Iraqi Blogs # 1

by littlewhy

Everyone reads Iraq the Model, Healing Iraq, Iraq at a Glance, etc. (And you're all reading Riverbend and the Jarrar blogs, right?) But who is reading Then Some? Or Iraqi Humanity? Or No Pain No Gain? Or the Rose of Baghdad?

So here's a new feature for IBR: A roundup of the little dogs in the Iraqi Blogosphere pound.

I'm sorry to report that things seem to be going from bad to worse in Mosul. All the Mosul bloggers have the same dismal story: explosions day and night, and the vicious shadow dictatorship of the Ansar al-Sunna. I'll start with Ibrahim Khalil of Iraq Today.

This Ramadan (the holy month for Moslems) which was very different than all the past ones for the Iraqi Christian women, because the commands of the Ansar Al-Sunna resistance army (an Islamic movement) which is a more effective authority than the government in this city at present time ... This horror is in everyone's heart in this city while they are seeing almost everyday at least one beheading or slaughtering of those who do not obey the commands of what is being termed "the Iraqi Resistance". Just this morning I started my day hearing from my friend that they found a man beheaded near their house at 7:00 am. The reason given as always: "working with Americans". This is leading more people to obey the Ansar Al-Sunna Resistance Army more then the local government ... Several flyers were posted everywhere in the city a few days before Ramadan. One of them was that all women must dress in the Islamic legal clothes or what we call the Al-Hijab. This means that even Christian women must obey this.

Like I said, all the Mosul blogs say the same thing, but the news also got down to Rose in Baghdad:

Rose
Diary From Baghdad
http://rosebaghdad.blogspot.com/

Rose in Baghdad seems to have had all she can take. She reports that she's no longer watching or following the news and doesn't want to talk about it in her latest posting, which is all about her daughter. But in some earlier posts she had this to say about the Ansar al-Sunna in Mosul:


Another thing I was discussing with my family, if I saw someone suspicious where should I go and tell the authority about him. The answer was no where. Because simply you don’t trust anyone, he might be one of the fighters or the terrorist so you might be killed or hurt, you or anyone of your family. So that’s why many Iraqi people are not giving any information about anyone because simply they don’t trust anyone in their new government. Till now many people had been captured while they were working in the new government and they were loyal to fighters groups or terrorists and they were giving information to their groups.So what shall we do to change these acts?


My sister (who lives in Mosul) called today and was very upset. The extremists put announcements in the streets forcing all women to wear the hijab (head scarf) even the Christians and this announcements was signed by five Islamic parties....

She said I don't want to force my daughter to wear something against her will and I don't know what to do? Her daughter became very angry, but there is nothing that she can do about...

What is making me nervous in all this, is the attitude of our new government against these acts. They simply don't do anything, why do they let them put these signs on all over the streets and do nothing about them, unless they are already agreed with these acts. Is this the freedom we are going to have? I think we will be a second Afghanistan and I don’t consider it faraway. I wonder what the president of the USA will say when he hears about this, this is his war against terror isn't it?

Yes, it is his war, and I'm mostly disappointed with his handling, as I've indicated earlier. Why should these people be living under the rule of these thugs? Sometimes it seems that neither the MNF nor the Iraqi security forces have the will to smash these guys...but a major assault on Fallujah seems to be in the air, soon. Is there reason to hope this will change the direction of Iraq?

Notice what Rose says about being unable to trust the police, since they're infiltrated with thugs. Why can't she go to the Americans? Why isn't there some way for her to phone in tips anonymously?

Given all this, it is not surprising that many Iraqis are having a hard time fighting off despair, like Sara in New Zealand.

the stories I hear from Iraqis and how my family isn't coping very well either, just like any Iraqi in Iraq right now. I think about Iraq and its people everyday that goes by no matter what; the more negative thoughts I have in mind, the more it's getting me nuts by the day.
...to see his or her country getting destroyed by the hands of their fellow brothers and sisters is outrageous. I'm finding it very disappointing, sad and simply a shame.


So if you have time, drop by some of these blogs and try to give them some encouragement.

#####

Here's a new blogger who needs more traffic, which he's getting thanks to Iraq the Model. He's Ibn Al Rafidain, which means "Son of the Two Rivers."

The son of the two rivers isn't always thrilled with the butt-monkeys around him who have lots of complaints, but not much action:

I can say that most of the Iraqis are not ready to listen to criticism or advice, even when they are in real trouble. Moreover, they find it very difficult (or impossible) to admit their fault.

Ah, al-Rafidain, take out the word "Iraqis" and insert any nation, group or individual you like and you'll be right most of the time...

#######

Here's a new blog by a 20-year-old medical student, Said:

Iraqi Humanity
iraqidoctor.blogspot.com

His latest post recounts how he missed being blown up by only a few minutes--twice. How does he keep studying? The guy has a lot of nerve. Anyway, he also tells of the day he heard thirteen explosions, and the conversations he had afterwards with his fellow med students:

One of the was ex-baathism, & he was very happy ( & I don't know why) he started to shout & saying that this is the end of Americans troops in Iraq. I left him in this mental condition & start to talk with others...

...Other friend told that those Americans might killed Iraqi people before so they deserve to die, but I told him in this explosion might hits Iraqi people in addition to those Americans, he answered that this is a war, & I answered him that it is a war so many Iraqi people might die in it & we must think that if 100 Iraqi people die daily we ought not to make them 101 people;

Said is obviously a very decent guy. (I think he might be a little unclear on the meaning of the English word "friend.") Notice the hypocrisy of his one 'friend.' If Americans kill civilians in the midst of combat, they deserve to die. But if Iraqis kill civilians in combat, why that's ok! It is a war, after all.

Like I said, Said is a decent guy, but he's also a tough guy:

a group of terrorism attacked 6 churches at the same time when our Christians brothers were just finished there prayers & prepare to leave, fortunately I was near one of these churches which lies in Al-Doraa & I helped with my friend in removing victims under blocks & glasses & it was really a terrible view.

Also there was a big traffic in the way back, so I entered the house in 3:40 pm & now as I am writing this, I am hearing a voice fire (bullet shot) near our house ,So I shall go now bcz it become serious :)

#####

Here's a young fellow who usually just calls himself 13, and his blog Then Some has a great post about Christopher Reeve:

#####

There are plenty more little blogs out there who need your hits. If the reading is getting you down, do what I do and always finish your Iraqi blog reading with Raghda, who has a new cat.