Iraqi Bloggers Roundup

Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Faiza's Latest Post on the Media, Occupation and Support of Terrorism

When I’m already in a foul mood, I should know better than to read one of Faiza’s posts. Oh well, stupid me. The last thing I want to read about is more car bombs, assassinations, and kidnappings. I did however manage to make it all the way through the post and find these interesting nuggets:

“Since the fall of the regime, and the entry of the occupation forces to Iraq, and the media there wants to convince the world that Iraq is on the brink of a civil war, but the bombings that took place to evoke controversy between the Sunni and the Shi'aa did not work… nor did those between the Kurds and Arabs, they did not succeed, unless you count limited places in the northern cities… and they did not succeed between Muslims and Christians, despite the bombing of churches…”

The majority of Americans also distrust the predictions of civil war by the mass media. As I noted in a
previous post, not all Iraqis agree with Faiza’s assessment, but I sincerely hope she’s right.

~~~

Faiza has a few words to anyone calling for the immediate removal of foreign troops:

“Whoever person who has an ounce of brains, and quietness in his head would tell them: Stay, do not withdraw, until conditions get better…”

Amen to that.
~~~

“The kidnappings of foreigners and the bombings are carried out by non-existing organizations, that have no faces, and no real existence on earth, illusion organizations that have web sites and documentary films on Al-Jazzera Channel…Who are their owners? Who finances them? No one knows…”

I don’t think there are any “owners” of these terrorist groups, but I’m pretty sure I know how they’re getting their funding. At the end of Faiza’s post she tells us the story of her driver whose sister lives in Fallujah. Her house was recently damaged by a missile strike. The cleric at the local mosque is accepting donations to help families rebuild their houses and distributes the money to the poor and widows. Call me a skeptic, but what do you think the chances are that the money will actually go where it’s intended? Maybe this is just my pessimistic mood taking over, but I think Faiza just helped purchase a few more guns, RPGs, and mortars for the insurgents.
How do you think she'd feel if she learned she were actually supporting the terrorism in Iraq? Maybe she could call Yusuf Islam (the artist formerly known as Cat Stevens) for advice.